Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Curly - Advanced Precision, Week 1

Curly and I started a new class after already taking Obedience, Rally and Rally Advance classes in 2009. This new class is to help us really hone in on our skills such as Rally moves and off leash practice. I love working with my man Curly because he is so eager to work.

Every time we start a new class I know my brain will hurt trying to remember what we need to practice and what is expected of us. Tonight was no different.

Tonight we practiced healing. We did a stepping process to perfect our dogs working with us and stopping when we stop. Then we practiced walking in a heal with turns to the left and right as well as the "left about" (my favorite move). This is the handler turning to their left and the dog going to the right. I have video of this on you tube. We worked on straight fronts, which we REALLY need to work on. Curly not only sits sideways or slightly sideways, but he offers other behaviors if I wait too long to tell him what to do after. He wants to go, go, go, but that is not how the game is played. Last, we worked on "sit", "down", "sit" also known as puppy push ups in a heal position. Curly is also crooked here so we'll be practicing hard.

It's great to be working on perfecting what we know and learning some new things too.

1 comment:

Jena said...

Go Curly!! You are the MAN!!! Paula, you are wonderful with Curly. You guys make a great team.