Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 4 - Advanced Precision ... OFF LEASH!

That's right, I said it. OFF LEASH! Curly did a lot of off leash work tonight and I was extremely impressed. I think if he refused to do everything, but behaved off leash tonight I would have been just as proud. Ha!

So we are in week 4 and still loving it. I was a bit nervous because we hadn't practiced as much as I'd like and know that is key. I was also tired tonight. Curly of course was ready to work.

First, we warmed up as usual doing a heal in a circle (technically a square or rectangle) around cones with the other classmates. Then after we were doing good we tried it off leash. Woo hoo! Curly was right there with me. Everyone's dogs were connected tonight. We did 360's, call fronts, finishes (I kept trying to go left no matter what I was instructed) and stopping in sync.

Second, we worked on "down" because Curly had some challenges this weekend during our Fun Rally event. We'll need to really work on this outside to proof this behavior to gain consistancy. I know we can do it! He did well overall in this area tonight, but the stays need more practice as well.

Next, we did some "down stays" while humans acted as cones for figure 8's. Curly did awesome at the figure 8's off leash, but again the "down stays" are a work in progress.

Finally, it was time for the "hail Hitler/call a cabbie" move as I like to call it. The real name is a "drop down". The goal is to call your dog to you and hold up your right hand without saying anything and your dog drop into a down. Sounds easy, right?! Not! But we are getting it. The trick is practice of course and walking towards the dog with your arm/hand extended so they get the idea. I'm amazed how quick the dogs were picking this up. We did start the learning process last week, but the other classmates were rocking it out!

Curly is currently passed out on the love seat. I am pretty sure he's beat from all the work/fun tonight. Go Curly, Go Curly!

No comments: